Saturday, January 25, 2014

Our Newest Chapter

Since I have last written, we have had quite a few positive changes in our humble abode.  I have already announced on my FB page, that Doug finished his three year post prison supervision!  Yeah!  Our transition has been seamless... I suspected that for months, I'd continually ask him if he had his trip permit every time we headed into Washington.  Yesterday, was actually the first time, that I almost asked him, and then remembered, "Oh yeah, we don't have to worry about that anymore." :)  Seems like such a small thing, yet it so huge.  It is the little "pieces" of freedom, that so many of us take for granted each and every day.  We thank our lucky stars and have that much more appreciation for such things in life.

A few days after Christmas, Doug and I got our families together, and a couple of life long friends that are like an extended family to Doug, to celebrate with gratitude, the ending of his post prison supervision.  We had a celebration when he came home a little over three years ago.  I had wanted to do something special for Doug, and I toyed with different ideas and then I finally decided to just ask him what he wanted.  After all, this was his celebration, and it seemed most fitting to celebrate in the way he wanted to and with the people who mean the most to him.

It was a fun afternoon, yummy food is never in shortage in Doug's family, so we had a wonderful spread of deliciousness.  I had gotten two cakes from one of our favorite local bakeries, Tebo's.  We had gotten our wedding/vow renewal cakes there a couple of years ago and they are so wonderful, I decided to get a couple for Doug's celebration ~ with "Congratulations Doug!" on one, and "We Love You" on the other.

Towards the end of the afternoon, Doug called everyone into one room, and thanked everyone for their love and support, especially during the last handful of years.  Doug and I had a surprise for everyone and especially our parents... we had purchased two tiny hats and pairs of booties ~ giving one to my mother, and one to Doug's.  We had them open at the same time and Doug's mom was ecstatic... my mom couldn't figure it out right away (I think she was in shock) and then I said while laughing and crying a wee bit, "I'm pregnant, I'm pregnant!"  Her mouth dropped to the floor... definitely a Kodak moment.

So, we ended our afternoon and celebration of finishing one heartbreaking and beyond challenging chapter in our lives, and beginning a new fresh one, full of excitement, happiness and possibilities. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment